By Meteo Mike
What a day – after a tentative start it turned out to be one of the best days of the season! We had another 30cm or so of snow overnight and as the wind dropped yesterday it was a good deal lighter snow than before. It was a little heavier below 2000m as the temperatures have remained relatively mild. But at least all the old snow (together with some of that Sahara sand) has been buried under a pure white blanket, just fab!It was still snowing at the off this morning, and we were effectively in cloud. However, there was no chance of a lie in as the pisteurs were having their small world war. They were obviously very concerned about the slope outside of my window, they had quite a few goes to satisfy themselves. Our first run was navigationally tricky as Familial was in cloud. Local knowledge allowed us some nice turns, but not being able to see meant it was hard work. After that we stuck to the La Daille trees, nice snow but quite a lot of clowns with no gear and no idea! After a spot of rehydration the sun started to break through so we had another run down Familial in great light, it was starting to become a magical day. Following that we were among the first down Envers Campanules (a Naturide), great. We then threw the dice and decided to go up the Funiculaire. The first 200m of vertical was in cloud as we came down towards Genepy, and then we emerged onto more great snow with nobody else in sight. It was so good we did it again. The day finished with a whizz down Lognan, again knee deep snow but starting to consolidate in the warm sun. As I came home for a late lunch the streets were awash, so I expect the snow to be heavier tomorrow, perhaps a little higher, and north facing slopes tomorrow, noting that this is where the significant risk is on the Avi bulletin.
Tomorrow will feel warm, the sun will be partially obscured by a thin veil of cloud which will break into fluffy cotton wool by lunchtime. The winds will pick up through the day, maybe not as much as we thought yesterday, but just keep an eye on the information boards. There is no way of dressing up the conditions on Saturday. It’s going to be wild. It will start snowing early doors. The current forecast is for gusts into triple figures around the resort levels! The good news for us in resort is that the snow line will be much further down the mountain. It will start at 1300m and finish the day in Bourg. It is still a busy week on the roads (31000 up and 32000 down). If this forecast doesn’t change, then carnage may well ensue. Sunday will start with sunny periods, and then the skies will darken and the winds will pick up again, we should get more snow in the afternoon. These conditions look like continuing until Tuesday, but it is too early to be precise. Some of the apps went into overdrive this morning suggesting nearly 3 metres of snow in the next week or so. Personally, I think somewhere between 50 and 70cm, ‘which is nice’.
If you’re coming out to ski next week and you’re wondering what skis to buy or hire, here‘s a handy guide to the best all-mountain skis of 2017, reviewed by Winter Ninja. For more of their expert gear reviews head to winterninja.com.